“I am delighted that from tomorrow, 1st July, as part of the Government’s Jobs Initiative, a lower VAT rate of 9% (down from 13.5%) is to become effective until the 31st December 2013. This measure is to assist the economy grow, to generate more revenue and to increase job creation, particularly in the tourism sector” said Kildare North TD, Anthony Lawlor.
The new 9% rate applies to a number of areas directly targeted to encourage more people to spend money holidaying in Ireland and to use the many entertainment and leisure facilities at our disposal. These include:
– restaurant and catering services;
– hotel and holiday accommodation;
– admissions to cinemas, theatres, certain musical performances, museums and art gallery exhibitions;
– fairgrounds or amusement park services;
– the use of sporting facilities;
– hairdressing services;
– printed matter such as brochures, maps, programmes, leaflets, catalogues and newspapers.
“It is important that all businesses which come under the above categories pass on this decrease in VAT by way of lower prices to the consumer. This is a positive step by the Government in their attempt to get Ireland back working and businesses should see an increase in their trade over the coming months as a consequence. I look forward to seeing a boost to the tourism trade and an increase in the day to day spending of consumers in Kildare North as a result of these new lower prices” concluded Anthony Lawlor TD.