• Under the Tax Credit system for Income Tax, Gross Tax minus Tax Credits = Tax Payable. Gross tax liability is calculated on your total income (after deduction of superannuation and permanent health benefit) by applying 20% to income up to your standard rate cut-off point and 41% on the remainder. The cut off point will be:

Standard Rate Cut-off Income 2012

                                                         Weekly                             12 Month Value

Single/Widowed                               €630.77                                €32,800

One Parent Family                           €707.69                                €36,800

Married (one income)                      €803.85                                 €41,800

Married (two incomes)                    €1,261.54                              €65,600

Separated spouses may be taxed singly or jointly.

If you rent rooms in your own home to an unconnected person and the annual rent is less than €10,000, the rent will be exempt and subtracted from income before calculating tax, social insurance or health levy. If you care for up to 3 children in your home and receive less then €15,000, this income will be exempt from tax and health levy but a minimum €253 Social Insurance is payable. If you exceed these amounts, the exemption is lost and the whole lot is taxed.

• Your Tax Certificate will show the annual value of all your Tax Credits and the equivalent weekly or monthly amount which are subtracted from this gross liability to yield the tax payable:

Tax Credits 2012

Single Person €1,650

Age (65) Allowance (each) €245

Married Couple €3,300

Incapacitated Child €3,300

Widowed €2,190

Homecaring Spouse €810

One Parent Family €3,300

Dependent Relative €70

PAYE Allowance (each) €1,650

— The Homecaring Spouse Credit is available to a spouse in a one-earner family who is caring in the home for a child who is eligible for Child Benefit or for an aged or handicapped person. You must apply for this allowance. The homecarer is allowed to have up to €5080 income of their own, thereafter the credit is reduced, reaching zero if income exceeds €6,620.

Carer’s Allowance is not counted as income in this means test.

— One Parent Family Credit applies to a single or widowed person if you can show that your child resided with you for at least part of the year. This relief is not available to an unmarried couple living together

Dependent Relative Credit is claimable if you support a widowed mother or incapacitated relative whose income does not exceed the contributory OAP

— A parent with dependent children who is widowed gets an additional tax credit in each of the 5 subsequent tax years of €3,600, €3,150, €2,700, €2,250 and €1,800 respectively.

• Tax credits which are unused are not refundable. They will be carried forward from week to week during a tax year, but if unused after the end of the tax year, they are lost.

• Age Exemption: Persons aged 65 or over are exempt from income if their gross incomes from all sources is undr €18,000 (single), €36,000 (married), no income tax will apply.

• An Incapacitated Person or one or more of their family, can deduct up to €50,000 from their taxable income to employ a home help.

Mortgage interest: Mortgage relief is being phased out. It will not apply to new loans from 2013. New loans taken out before 31 Dec 2012 will qualify for relief:

— A new loan for a first-time buyer qualifies for seven years of relief on interest up to €10,000 (single), €20,000 (married) and is allowable at 25%.

— A new loan to trade up will get 7 fresh years of relief on the entire loan, but a loan to extend will only get 7 years relief on the “top-up” element of the loan. In both cases relief is on a maximum interest of €3,000 (S) and €6,000 (M) and is capped at 15%.

Mortgages taken out since 1st Jan 2004 hold relief at 20% until 2017. As promised, relief has been increased to 30% for First Time

Buyers between 2004 and 2008.

• Certain expenses carry a 20% Tax Credit:

• Rent paid by a tenant to a Private Landlord is being phased out. Only tenants renting before 7th Dec 2010 still qualify. For them relief in 2012 is up to a maximum €1,200 (single), €2,400 (married/widowed), and if you are aged 55 or over up to €2,400 and €4,800 respectively. This is to be phased out by 2017.

• All unreimbursed Medical Expenses (including Nursing Home expenses); Maternity care; A Psychological Assessment and Speech Therapy for children. You can also claim for the medical expenses of a close relative or any incapacitated or elderly person regardless of their means. Routine Dental or Optical Care don’t qualify.

• Health Insurance This relief is now granted at source and deducted from your premium by the insurer.

• Insurance to cover long-term care costs in the event of serious disability, and to cover non-routine dental costs.

College Fees (including Tuition Fee and Student Contribution) of up to €7,250 in 2012/13 for full or part-time undergraduate courses in Ireland or EU and for postgraduate courses in non-EU countries as well. However, the first €2,250 of each claim is disregarded i.e. for parents paying only the Registration Fee, relief applies where a second child is in college at the same time.

Employer provided childcare is subject to income tax as Benefit in Kind.

• A Universal Social Charge applies to gross income, from whatever source (excluding only Social Welfare Payments) and without deduction of pension contributions

— 2% up to €10,036 (€193 per week)

— 4% on the next €5,979 (next €115 per week

— 7% on the remainder

An exemption applies to persons whose total income is under €10,036 (€193 per week). The self-employed pay 10% on income over €100,000.

Pay Related Social Insurance (PRSI) applies to gross income (with no deduction for pension contributions) of workers and the self- employed aged 16-66. A single rate of 4% now applies to both categories with no ceiling. Public servants on a modified rate will now a pay 4% on their income in excess of €75,036.

Redundancy: You do not have to pay tax on Statutory Redundancy, nor on termination payments due to injury or disability. Tax is payable on any other lump sums but after the deduction of the more favourable of:

• €765 for each complete year in the job, plus €10,160 and a further €10,000 is allowable if you are not a member of an Occupational Pension Scheme, or

• 1/15th of your annual income (average of the last 3 years) for each year less any tax-free lump sum from the pension scheme.

This deduction cannot exceed €200,000. The balance is taxable either as extra income for that year or at the average rate of tax you paid in the previous years.

Pensions: A certain portion of gross earnings under €115,000 can be put into a pension tax free. It is up to 15% (under 30 years) rising in steps to 40% (60 years or over), allowable at your top rate of tax.

If you are not in a Pension Scheme you may put the money into a Personal Retirement Savings Account (PRSA) organised by your employer. A self-employed person can put money into a Personal Retirement Fund. The fund will accumulate free of tax on income or on gains. You cannot withdraw money before age 60. On retirement you may take out 25% tax-free.

Retirement lump sum payments in excess of e200,000 are taxable, at the standard 20% rate.

DIRT Tax: Retention tax is increased to 30% for ordinary deposit accounts, 33% on life assurance or investment accounts.

Persons who are 65 and over, or permanently incapacitated, can, if your total income is not sufficient to make you taxable, notify your bank and receive the interest without deduction of DIRT.

Capital Acquisitions Tax: Gifts or inheritance bear a 30% tax on the market value of the assets received in excess of certain thresholds, which vary according to your relationship with the giver. Lower thresholds and a progressive rate structure are to come in for 2012.

Relationship to Giver Exempt Threshold 2012

A. Son/Daughter €256,250

B. Grandchild/Brother/Sister/Niece/Nephew/Parent €34,038

Relationship other than Group A or B €17,019

Stamp Duty: Transfers of residential property will pay 1% up to €1 million, and to 2% on any excess over that.

Household Charge: a uniform charge of €100 will be paid by houseowners in 2012, unless you are on Mortgage Interest Supplement. For second homes and landlord properties a combined charge of €300 applies in 2012. In the future it will become related to the value of the property or the site. Water charges based on metering but with a basic free allowance are to be introduced by 2014.


• The Basic Social Welfare rates from January 2012 are:

                                                                          Adult                Adult Dependent

Contributory OAP (Full Rate)                           €230.30                €206.30

(aged 66 or over)

Non Contributory OAP                                     €219.00                €144.70

(aged 66 or over)

Contributory Widows – under 66                     €193.50                —

Contributory Widows – 66 or over                   €230.30                —

Invalidity Pension                                              €193.50                €138.10

Supplementary Welfare                                     €186.00                €124.80

All Other Payments                                            €188.00                 €124.80

Living Alone Allowance                                      €7.70                      –                       

Over 80 Allowance                                              €10.00                   –                                                     


Child Benefit is paid for all children (€140 month for the first two, €148 for the third, €160 others) up to their 16th birthday, or 18th birthday if in full-time education or with a disability. A single rate of €140 will apply from 2013 onwards.

Qualified Child Payment of €29.80 is paid to persons on Social Welfare up to the end of the academic year in which the child reaches 18. A person on social welfare for over 26 weeks can claim up to 22nd birthday if in full-time education. Full rate QPC will be paid if your spouse is working and earning no more than €400.

• A Back-to-School payment of €150 for primary pupils from age 4, €250 for secondary pupils and an equal payment for a Communion or Confirmation payable to persons on Social Welfare whose weekly income is not more than €150 over the weekly contributory pension rate.

Family Income Supplement: A couple or a single parent on low pay, who work for at least 19 hours per week combined (including job-sharers) can get a supplement for their children (including those 18-22 in full-time education). The payment is calculated at 60c for each €1 by which your take home pay (i.e. net of tax, PRSI levies and superannuation) falls below the following income:

– €506.00 for a family with one child, plus

– €96 for second, €101 for third, e121 for fourth, and €126 (approx) for each other child.

If you qualify, the payment will last at least 52 weeks it will be of a minimum €20 per week and also entitles you to a back-to-school payment from the HSE, the smokeless fuel allowance, and will not affect your eligibility for a medical card.

A person on One Parent Family Allowance may apply but FIS will be treated as income in your means test.

• A widow(er) with children receives a once off €6,000 in the year of bereavement, in addition the standard Bereavement Grant of €850 is payable. From Jan 2012 widows and OPFA can no longer claim half rate unemployment or illness along with their payment.

• The Department of Social Protection pays Domiciliary Care Allowance €309.50 per month and an annual respite grant of €1,700 up to their 16th birthday for children n with a disability who require considerable extra care. This is the current situation; however the terms and conditions of this scheme are under Departmental review. A payment of €35 per week is payable to a resident in institutional settings who does not have Disability Allowance.

• Free Pre School for one year is available to any child aged between 3 years and 3 months and 4 years and 6 months on 1st September covering either:

• Playschool for 3 hours daily for 38 weeks, or

• Childcare for 2 hours 15 minutes daily for 50 weeks.

A pre-school cannot charge parents extra for the hours covered by the scheme, but can charge for extra hours or for additional activities as long as these are optional.

FUEL SCHEME: A Fuel allowance of €20 / week is payable for 26 weeks if you are on long-term Social Welfare with no more than €100 per week in household income over the contributory pension rate. However, to qualify, you must be living alone, or only with dependants or another person on long-term social welfare or the JSA. The current season will end on 6th April 2012.

Supplementary Welfare: The Community Welfare Officer in the HSE may help out with the following:

• A weekly payment if you are sick or unemployed and have not received Social Welfare.

• A supplement towards the assigned cost of a special diet (about €70) less one third (one sixth in the case of a couple) of the applicant’s current income. Exceptional heating supplement can be paid in serious medical circumstances.

• A once-off payment for unforeseen needs such as a funeral, fares to visit or attend hospital, a robbery, fire or flood; or for unaffordable essential needs such as: furniture or kitchen equipment when setting up home; needs associated with pregnancy and a new baby; clothing or replacing essential equipment for older people on low income or in poor health.

• Help if the repayment schedule sought by the ESB/Gas to sort out a serious arrear causes excessive hardship.

In assessing eligibility, the CWO takes into account all income coming into the house including part-time earnings of a spouse and income of other adults. Full-time students and persons working over 30 hours are not generally eligible. New guidelines will apply stricter rules in 2012. Decisions can be appealed to the HSE, Bridgecourt Office Park, Walkinstown (Tel: 4609300).

Treatment Benefit now only covers free dental, optical examinations and Medical and Surgical Appliances (including hearing aids, max €500 per aid once every 4 years) scheme for the insured worker and their spouse.

Free Schemes: If you are 66 or over or permanently incapacitated, and living alone except for dependents, a spouse on Social Welfare, another pensioner, or someone giving you full-time care, you can receive the following concessions along with your Irish or British Social Welfare Pension:

  • ESB Standing charge plus 1,800 units per year worth €430 per year, or
  • Natural Gas worth €21 / month (June – Nov) and €44.50 / month (Dec – May) (You can carry up to €150 credit from one bill to the next.
  • Free colour television licence; and
  • Telephone Allowance of €267 / year (which can be used for mobile phones).

Pensioners who don’t have a Social Welfare pension can qualify at age 66 on the same terms provided their means don’t exceed the Contributory OAP rate by more than €100.

If you are aged 70 or over, you can qualify for all of these free schemes regardless of your income or its source and regardless of who lives with you and you can now get telephone allowance while residing in a nursing home. If you are widowed and aged 60 or over, you can retain the free schemes and free travel if your late spouse had them, and you satisfy the other conditions.

• In Social Welfare means tests for pensioners the first €20,000 (each) of savings are disregarded, the next successive €10,000 (each) slices are valued at €1/week and €2/week per €1,000 respectively and the balance at €4/week per €1,000.

Part-Time Working

• A person on Jobseeker’s Benefit loses one fifth of your payment for each day you work. A person on Jobseeker’s Allowance will have 60% of your daily earnings over e20 deducted from the total weekly payment. In both cases, you get no payment if you work more than 3 days. Earnings on a Sunday will also be counted from 2013.

• A Lone Parent can earn €130 per week (after Pension Contributions and PRSI) without affecting their entitlement to One Parent Family Payment. Between €130 and €425 payment is reduced by 50c for each euro of earnings. Up to €95.23 of Maintenance is disregarded where there are housing payments to be met, thereafter half of the payment is assessed.

One Parent Family Payment ceases when the youngest child reaches 12.

• Jobseeker’s Allowance is cut to €150 if a job offer or activation measure is refused.

• A person claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance whose spouse is working will be paid the rate for a claimant and an adult dependent less 60% of their spouse’s earnings (after deduction of pension contribution, PRSI and union subscriptions) in excess of €60 per week.

• A single person under 25 living at home who has left school can apply for Jobseeker’s Allowance, but will be assessed with 34% of their parents’ disposable income (after deduction of tax, PRSI, superannuation, mortgage/rent, Health Insurance, Union Fees and €600 couple (€470 single parent) and €30 per child). Once you qualify for any payment, a minimum €40.00 per week is paid.

• Payment to new claimants under 25 of Jobseeker’s Allowance is capped at €100 if you are under 22, €144 if aged 22-24, unless you are in training, on Back to Education Allowance or coming off Job Seeker’s Benefit.


• Back to Work Enterprise Allowance can be claimed by a person who has been unemployed or on Sickness benefit for at least 12 months, when you start a business. It allows you retain part of your Social Welfare payments, tax free, for 2 years (100%, 75%).

A Short-Term Enterprise Allowance can be claimed by anyone who has been made redundant or who is eligible for Jobseekers Benefit. It allows you to retain benefit until it expires (max 12 months). If you have been on social welfare for at least three months, you can retain your payment and secondary benefits but the scheme will not extend the duration of your entitlements. Help with the cost of start-up may be available from the Kildare County Enterprise Board (Tel: 045 861 707).

• Start-Up Tax Relief: if you start up and work full-time in your own company, you can claim back the income tax you paid in the previous six years to invest equity into the company (subscribed as shares). New companies do not pay Corporate Tax for the first three years.

Back to Work Tax Free Income (Revenue Assist) is claimable at your top rate if you are returning to work if you have been previously unemployed or on disability allowance for 12 months or more – of €3,810 plus €1,270 for each child in year 1, and two-thirds of these allowances in year 2, one-third in year 3. The employer is also entitled to double write-off against tax.

JobBridge: offers an internship of 6-9 months to persons who have been signing on as available to work and getting a payment or credits for at least 3 months. Time on completed programmes in Fás training, back to education or a community scheme will count towards eligibility. Participants will receive €50 / week on top of their welfare. See

Springboard: offers part time courses to those signing on at the time of starting a Springboard course. See

Community Employment: Offers up to 20 hours work per week for 12 months to people aged 25 or over who have been on Social Welfare for over 12 months and have worked no more than 30 days in the year. The allowance paid €208, is €20 over Social Welfare. The period of participation can be extended in certain cases. The payment of a child supplement for persons on One Parent Family Payment is being discontinued in 2012. New applicants for Community Employment will no longer be able to retain their existing welfare payment.

Persons under 25 can only participate if on Disability Allowance, ex-Offenders, referred by Drugs Task Force.

• Back to Education Allowance (from Department of Social and Family Affairs) or a VTOS Allowance (VEC), is claimable if you are undertaking a full time course leading to a recognised certificate at Second, Third or Postgraduate, and are:

• at least 21 years of age (18, if out of education for at least 2 years), 24 Postgraduate and

• on Social Welfare for at least 3 months (for Second Level), 6 months (VTOS), or 9 months (for Third Level), or immediately if you lose your job and get statutory redundancy.

To pass this test, periods of claim may be linked if there is no more than a 52 week gap in between. If you qualify you get welfare payment plus €300 at start of year (BTEA) or a weekly training allowance €20 (VTOS).

If you are on these schemes, you must apply for waiver of the registration fee under the third level grant (below).

Part-time VTOS options can be taken up without affecting Social Welfare entitlements subject to approval.


Third Level Grants are available from Local Authorities for full-time undergraduate courses. To qualify for a full grant and no registration fee your parents gross income in the previous year must be under €41,110 (up to 3 children). Above that there is partial entitlement up to €47,205. The Student Contribution will be €2,250 in 2012 and €200 for PLC Course. Where parents’ income is under €51,380, this fee is not payable. A second student at third level adds about €4,000 to these limits. The grant is worth €3,025 (living over 45km from college), €1,215 (adjacent).

New entrants to post graduate courses will no longer get maintenance grant from 2012. The colleges also have access to a student assistance fund for students in need of support and students with disabilities. (See also College Tax Reliefs under Taxation).


• PRIMARY MEDICAL COVER: A Medical Card entitles you to all health services free. A GP Visit Card covers the cost of visits to the doctor for your family. The means test for these cards is based on net income i.e. after the deduction of tax and PRSI; of reasonable expenses on rent or mortgage; on travel to work; on childcare and of regular weekly out of pocket medical expenses. Savings are valued in the same way as for non-contributory OAP. The cards will be granted if your remaining income after these deductions does not exceed the following guideline for 2012:

         Medical Card                                              GP Only

Under 66                     66 and over                     Under 66                 66 and over

Single living alone                                    

€184.00                       €201.50                                 €276.00                  €302.00

Single living with family                               

€164.00                       €173.50                                 €246.00                  €260.00

 Married couple (or single parent)            

 €266.50                      €298.00                                 €400.00                 €447.00

 Additional Allowance for Dependent Children:

                                                             Medical Card         GP Only

• for first two children under 16                            €38.00                     €57.00

• for other children under 16                                  €41.00                     €61.50

• for first two children over 16                               €39.00                     €58.50

• for other children over 16                                     €42.50                     €64.00

• for over 16 in full time third level (no grant)       €78.00                    €117.00

Persons on Social welfare who have no other income will generally qualify for a medical card. An increase in Social Welfare will not cause you to lose your card. Free GP service will be given to a person with a Long Term Illness Card during 2012. The HSE will consider cases outside these guidelines in special circumstances, for example to cover one family member with high medical costs. Medical Card holders do not have to pay exam fees for children. Persons with British or EU pensions, who have no Irish Social Welfare pension, generally qualify for the Medical Card regardless of income. Students will only qualify for a medical card in their own right if they have an independent income of at least e204.30 but under the above guidelines.

• Persons aged 70+ qualify for a Medical Card if your gross weekly income is less than €700 per week (single), or €1,400 (married).

• Once either spouse qualifies at 70, both get cover.

• A surviving partner aged over 70 will be allowed to keep their medical card for three years.

• In the means test, the first €36,000 (single), €72,000 (couple) of assets are disregarded. On the balance only the income actually earned will be counted.

• A €0.50 charge per prescription item applies to medical card holders (max e10 per month per family). It does not apply to those on the long-term illness scheme.

Drug Refund: Any family can get a refund on the cost of prescribed drugs used in any month in excess of €132 provided the drug is on the government list.

GENERAL HOSPITAL ENTITLEMENTS: Everyone is entitled to public in-patient and out-patient hospital services. However, if you see a consultant privately, you will have to pay privately for any test or care arising, unless you give notice that you wish to switch back to join the public waiting list for the treatment.

Charges: With the exception of Medical Card Holders, and children with long term ailments or referred from school health examinations, the following charges must be paid in major public hospitals:

• Casualty and Outpatient €100 unless referred by your doctor or admitted to hospital

• Public Ward Bed €75 per night (up to a max. €750 in a year)

• Private patients pay €1,118 per night (semi-private), €1,243 (private), €916 (day care).

During 2012, the distinction between public and private beds will be ended, so all private patients will be charged these private bed rates.

NURSING HOME SUPPORT: Under the “Fair Deal” patients seeking a place in either a Private or a Public Nursing Home now have the same assessment of need and the same means-test for payment. The patient will be liable to pay towards the cost of care:

• 80% of assessable income (i.e. after deduction of tax, PRSI, mortgage/rent and out-of-pocket medical expenses)

• plus 5% of the value of any assets, in excess of a disregard of €36,000

A spouse is assessed with half of the couple’s joint income and assets. The HSE can assess assets transferred in the past 5 years. The balance of the cost will be met by the State.

If the assets are in property, the contribution can be deferred until settlement of the person’s estate, but the money owing will be increased by the Consumer Price Index each year. In the case of the family home only, the deferred contribution will be capped at 15% (i.e. after three years of care). The deferred charge against the home will not be collected during the life time of a surviving spouse or a disabled child. This deferral must be separately requested by the patient, or by a care representative approved by the Circuit Court for a patient who is not capable of making the decision themselves.

HOME CARE PACKAGE: A Home Care Package can fund a care plan in the home, where the need is assessed on discharge from hospital, or by the Public Health Nurse to keep a person out of institutional care. The HSE will fund the cost where the patient’s income is no more than €100 in excess of the Contributory Old Age Pension. The HSE contribution is reduced by income in excess of that limit.

CARERS ALLOWANCE: A person who is living with, (or close by with a direct communication system), and giving full-time care to a child on Domiciliary Care Allowance, or to any person aged 16 or over requiring full-time care, can apply for a means-tested weekly Carers Allowance of €204 (€239 if carer is 66 or over) plus an annual €1,700 Respite Grant.

In the means-test, any weekly income of the carer in excess of €332.50 (single), or half of their own and their spouse’s income in excess of €665 (married) is assessed. The allowance is reduced accordingly, disregarding the first €7.60.

Half rate Carers Allowance is payable to persons receiving another Social Welfare Payment.

An additional 50% allowance and full respite grant will be paid to a person caring for more than one incapacitated person. Carers are entitled to free travel in their own right. A carer can take up training or paid employment for up to 15 hours per week.

Carers are entitled to credited contributions to keep you in benefit. When you cease caring, you are entitled to go on Back to Work, Back to Education or Community Employment Schemes.

• Persons caring full time can qualify for €1,700 Respite Grant regardless of means but persons working over 15 hours or on Jobseeker payments will not qualify.

• A Carers Benefit of €205 based on your Social Insurance can be claimed for short-term absences from work (up to 24 months) for caring responsibilities. It is available to all insurance classes except S and J. Limited work earning up to €332.50 per week is permissible, while claiming this benefit. Your job is protected for the 24 month duration.

• A Mobility Allowance of €208.50 per month is payable by the HSE to a person (aged 16-66) who is unable to walk, if their income does not exceed Social Welfare Contributory Pension by more than e12.70 per week.


• HOME PURCHASE LOAN: Kildare County Council offers up to a 97% loan to persons earning under €50,000 (one earner), €75,000 (two earners). The maximum available is €185,000. You must be in continuous employment for two years, and have been refused for mortgage approval by two lending agency’s. The interest rate is 3.25%. Potential applicants must have a credible savings record.

HOME CHOICE LOAN provides up to 92% of the market value of a property purchased to first time buyers. The maximum loan amount is €285,000. Home Choice Loan offers one variable interest rate of 4.20%. See for full information.

DEBT PROBLEMS If you are having difficulty keeping up with payments it is vital that you immediately inform those you owe (utilities, banks, etc.) and seek advice. Options include:

Money Advice & Budgeting Service (MABS) who advise and can negotiate with creditors (1890 283 438 or locally, Newbridge 045 435558/ Kilcock 01 6284466)

• Utilities offer Easypay options and even pre-payment meters in some circumstances.

• Community Welfare Service of the HSE offer access Supported Housing Payments (see below).

• A Mortgage Code of Practice protects you by requiring the lender:- to explore alternatives (like interest only or extending the term); not to apply penalties or force you to abandon a tracker mortgage; not to take legal action for repossession for 12 months (not counting time when you are complying with an agreement or appealing internally, or to the Financial Service Ombudsman).


If neither partner is working over 29 hours per week, a supplement towards rent or mortgage interest is payable, if, after paying these, you are left with less than €158 (single), €277.80 (couples), plus €29.80 for each child. The supplement brings your income back up to this level. You are not eligible if either you or your spouse is working full-time (over 29 hours per week). These ceilings are to be reviewed in 2012.

The first €95.23 of maintenance payments is assessed, above that, the income disregard applies.


• the loan must have been for the purchase, repair or essential improvement of your home, and

• the interest is no greater than the rent ceiling for a household of similar composition. If not, supplement is restricted to 12 months.

• you have completed the 12 month Resolution Process with your lending institution.

Mortgage Interest Supplement can be retained on a tapered basis over 4 years after returning to work, where gross household income (after PRSI and travel to work) doesn’t exceed €317.43.

RENT SUPPLEMENT – to be eligible:

• Already renting (or in homeless accommodation) for at least six months, or on the Council’s housing needs list.

• Otherwise you must be first assessed by the Council as in housing need (emergency cases fast tracked by Kildare County Council). No supplement will be paid where the rent exceeds ceilings set for different family size (e.g. e1,050 per month for family with two children, in Kildare).

People going back to full-time work (>29 hours) can only retain eligibility for supplement if the Council has deemed them eligible for the Rental Accommodation Scheme (RAS).

• Rent Accommodation Scheme

You can qualify for RAS if you are in need of housing and have been getting Rent Supplement (in general for a period of 18 months or more). Under RAS, Kildare County Council enters into a long-term contract with a Private Landlord, you pay an income related Rent {of 15% of after tax income in excess of €32 (single) €64 (couple)}. If you take up work you still get a subsidized rent. If the Landlord withdraws, the council is obliged to secure another tenancy for the family (For details, Tel:045 980818).


Older people or those with incapacities can get grants for home improvements from Kildare County Council. For a quicker service call 045 980200. The full grants below apply if the gross income of the owner and their spouse is less than €30,000, dropping on a graduated basis to 30% for incomes e54,000 – e65,000, but no grant over that. They are:

Housing Aid For Older People – Up to 100% grant in owner-occupied homes, for persons age 60 or over, of up to €10,500 for necessary improvements – rewiring, roof repair, central heating (where none), and replacing of existing boiler when broken beyond repair.

Mobility Aids – Up to 100% grant of up to €6,000 to address mobility problems, certified by a doctor (e.g. rails, ramps, stairlifts and level access showers) in owned or private rented homes where the annual household income is under €30,000.

Housing Adaptation (Disability) – Up to 95% grant of up to €30,000 to adapt a home to suit the needs of a person with an enduring disability (e.g. downstairs toilet/shower, wheelchair adaptation, extension, etc.) in owned or private rented homes. The works must be certified necessary by a doctor and may require an Occupational Therapist Report.

• Senior citizens who own their own house may sell it to the Council and seek Council Senior Citizens accommodation. They must give the Corporation one third of the proceeds of the sale (aged 60-70) or less if over 70.

Safer Homes

• Locks, chain reinforcing, security lighting and “pendant” alarms are now available on a year-round basis from certain Voluntary Agencies.

• Age Action Ireland has a team of volunteers available to do odd jobs for pensioners. They also have a list of honest and trustworthy tradesmen. (Lo Call) 1890 369 369.

WARMER HOMES: A Home Insulation Scheme for pensioners and incapacitated people (who are on Fuel Allowance) through Energy Action (01 454 5464) and CHIP (01 467 0344). Energy Action will insulate attics, draught-proof doors and windows, fit a lagging jacket, a smoke alarm and two energy-saving light bulbs, fit a mortise lock and a spy hole. CHIP will do a full insulation package including insulation of cavity walls.

GREENER HOMES: Sustainable Energy Ireland (tel. 1850 734 734) provides grants to homeowners for: insulation of – Roof (€200), Cavity Wall (€320), Internal Wall (€2,000), External Wall (€4,000); heating system – Controls Upgrade (High Efficiency Oil/Gas Boiler) (€560), Heating Controls Upgrade only (€400), Solar Heating (€800). The Solar Heating grant has been introduced to incentivise investment in smaller solar systems in the average home. Along with your insulation works, you can get a grant of €80 for a Building Energy Rating (BER). Grants will typically cover 20-30% of the full cost. Energy savings of up to 50% can be achieved.

External wall insulation: Before installing external insulation, you should first apply to your local authority for a Declaration of Exemption form (cost: €80), as you may need planning permission.